Sprang continues, but I wasn't pleased with the first piece and will start a second one this week.
Here I am (on the left) stirring lichen dye into a pot. Well I think it is lichen dye: I fermented three types of lichen from the cherry trees in my yard in ammonia and water for several weeks. The result was a dark purple-brown liquid. I tried soaking white wool in it for several days with no result: white wool. At the Weavers & Spinners Guild annual dye day, I tried heating it, but again the wool was white. I also tried some bamboo fiber; that didn't work either. I have a small amount left, and I'm going to do some more research to find out if there is some way I can make the fiber take up the color.
But I did get my picture in the paper! The Kitsap Sun, June 14, 2013.